Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Practice Blog Post

My name is Jamie Lynn Grierson. I have lived at the same house in Moss Point, MS all of my life. I graduated high school in May of 2012 and started college at Mississippi State University that fall. I was at Mississippi state for 3 semesters and decided that I just didn't like being that far away from home. I missed my family and friends so I decided to transfer to the University of South Alabama this semester. I know a lot of people that attend USA from high school so that makes the transfer a lot easier. I have a very close family. My parents, Jim and Althea, have been married for 28 years. I have one sister named Melanie that will be 27 tomorrow actually. I like being home and being able to spend more time with my family while I can.

I have literally wanted to be a teacher for as long as I can remember. I love kids and I know that I am going to enjoy watching them learn and grow. At first, I wanted to teach the little kids, like kindergarten or first grade. All I heard about was how I did not have the patience to teach small children. I then decided to change my major to secondary education, concentrating in mathematics. I was taking so many math classes that I could be an engineer. I got in calculus I and couldn't handle it. I changed my major back to elementary education and I have finally decided that I want to teach around 5th or 6th grade. They aren't too young, but aren't too old either. Just the right age for me.

One of my passions as always been singing. My whole family can sing. We all got the singing gene apparently. At Mississippi State I was in show choir which helped me with performing. Other than that I just sing at church or for fun. I would love to take some singing lessons. Not for professional reasons or anything like that. I would just like to learn more about singing and controlling my voice. I can sing, but I could always be better. There is always room to grow.

singing in show choir

1 comment:

  1. Jamie, I can't sing, but we do have something in common! I, too, wanted to be a secondary math teacher, but I didn't pursue it as in depth as you did. I love math, but I'm not sure I would love teaching math. I had a little taste of it when I taught 3rd grade and found it to be the most difficult thing to teach for some reason. Lol.

    Prior to teaching 3rd grade, I taught 5th grade in Texas. I taught reading, social studies, and language arts. I loved teaching 5th graders! They are a great age! They still want to please the teacher, but they have a lot of independence as well.

    Good luck with your teaching career! If you have any questions about 5th grade, I'd be happy to try and help! Here's a link to my blog. Chea Driver

    ReplyDelete